Amazing animals planet.
Feel free to explore and read.
How would you describe an elephant?
4/5 (798926 Views . 399463 Votes)
elephant, (family Elephantidae), largest living land animal, characterized by its long trunk (elongated upper lip and nose), columnar legs, and huge head with temporal glands and wide, flat ears. Elephants are grayish to brown in colour, and their body hair is sparse and coarse.
What makes an elephant unique?
Elephants are the largest land animals on Earth, and they're one of the most unique-looking animals, too. With their characteristic long noses, or trunks; large, floppy ears; and wide, thick legs, there is no other animal with a similar physique.Mar 18, 2019
What are elephants afraid of?
Elephants, regardless of how big they are, are also startled by things that move by them fast, like mice. According to elephant behavior experts, they would be scared of anything moving around their feet regardless of it's size.. Elephants are not alone in their fear of mice and other rodent like creatures.Oct 13, 2019
How are elephants useful to humans?
1. Elephants plant trees and fight climate change. Studies have shown that elephants help protect forest health in central Africa by distributing the seeds of trees. Because they roam over such great distances, elephants play a key role in spreading tree seedlings far and wide.Mar 28, 2018
Are elephants gentle?
There are actually two very different species of African elephants living on the African continent, both very different in their culture and appearance. Elephants are gentle, intelligent creatures that must be protected to ensure that they remain part of our natural ecosystem for centuries to come.
Do elephants hug?
According to researchers, elephants also hug each other when they see their comrades in hard times. They do it by putting their trunks in each other's mouth. They do it to offer comfort to those who feel upset or sad. It means that elephants can recognize others' feeling like human do.Nov 20, 2017
Why do elephants throw poop on themselves?
Each elephant creates about one tonne of poo per week, which keeps the soil fertile and disperses tree seeds. ... 9) Elephants have created their very own sunscreen! After a river or swamp bath, they'll throw mud and sand up and over themselves to protect their skin from the hot, burning sun.
What are elephants personalities like?
In the elephant study, the research team found that personality is expressed through three main characteristics: aggressiveness, attentiveness and sociability.Jan 5, 2021
What the elephants eat?
Diet. Elephants eat roots, grasses, fruit, and bark. An adult elephant can consume up to 300 pounds of food in a single day. These hungry animals do not sleep much, roaming great distances while foraging for the large quantities of food that they require to sustain their massive bodies.
What is an elephants habitat?
African elephants live in diverse habitats including wetlands, forest, grassland, savanna and desert across 37 countries in southern, eastern, western and central Africa. ... Elephants form deep family bonds and live in tight matriarchal family groups of related females called a herd.Nov 20, 2020
Do elephants love their owners?
Joy, anger, grief, compassion, love; the finest emotions reside within these hulking masses. Through years of research, scientists have found that elephants are capable of complex thought and deep feeling. In fact, the emotional attachment elephants form toward family members may rival our own.Oct 11, 2010
Do elephants have a good memory?
So yes, elephants have fabulous memories, and this is one of the things that makes them so special. An elephant's brain can weigh up to 5 kilograms – larger than any other land animal. It helps store that amazing memory.May 17, 2009
Which is the largest animal on land?
The blue whale is the biggest animal in the world. The elephant is the biggest on land. And the whale shark is the biggest fish in the sea.Jan 2, 2020
Do elephants really never forget?
In reality, “an elephant never forgets" is a generalization that's not true all the time because all elephants forget things from time to time. However, scientists have proven that elephants do have incredible memories.
Do elephants fear humans?
ELEPHANTS are not fazed by dynamite explosions, but change their behaviour significantly to avoid humans. That is the finding of a major study of how forest elephants deal with oil exploration in central Africa.Aug 11, 2010
Why are elephants afraid of pigs?
Instead it was Pliny the Elder (the Roman author, naturalist and natural philosopher) who determined that “elephants are scared by the smallest squeal of the hog” which led to Romans utilizing squealing pigs and rams to repel the War Elephants of Pyrrhus in 275 BC.
What are the special characteristics of an elephant?
- Physical Characteristics Size. African elephants are the largest of all land animals, adult males weighing between 1,800 and 6,300 kg (2 and 7 tons/ 4,000 and 14,000 lb.). Trunk. The elephant's trunk is an extension of the upper lip and nose. ... Ears. ... Dentition. ... Musth Gland/Temporal Gland. ... Foot. ... Skin. ... Hair. ... Internal Organs. ...
What are the personality traits of an elephant?
- Previous work on a timber elephant population from Myanmar has shown that Asian elephants have three personality factors: Attentiveness, Sociability and Aggressiveness. The new study demonstrates that male elephants score higher on the Aggressiveness trait than females, whereas female elephants score higher on the Sociability trait than males.
What is the largest elephant?
- Today, Loxodonta africana refers specifically to the Savanna Elephant, the largest of all the elephants. In fact, it is the largest land animal in the world, standing up to 13 ft (4 m) at the shoulder and weighing approximately 15,400 lb (7,000 kg). The average male stands about 3 m...
How many pounds does an elephant weigh?
- The average elephant weighs 8,000 pounds. When they are born they weigh over 200 pounds. African elephants can weigh upto 15,400 pounds and Asian elephants can weigh upto 11,000 pounds. Thats one big dumbo! The African bush elephant weighs an average of 4 to 8 tons (4-7 tonnes).